Kalevala week in Kuhmo began on the 23th of February and finishes on 28th of February with the Kalevala Day celebration. The Kalevala week has many different events for all age groups. This year, the Kalevala Day is aimed at children and they will be able to see a Karelian ensemble from Voknavolok, Viena Karelia, where Elias Lönnrot, a creator of the Finnish national epic, has brought many runes from.
Kuhmo Library is a partner of Kalevala week and produces its Novel book of Kalevala for women.
Programme of Kalevala week
Organizers: Juminkeko Foundation and Kuhmo city
- 6 pm Kalevala national theatre, Love and Dove, Pajakka hall, Kuhmo Art Center, 10€ / 5€
- 10 am Traditional round games with kids at Kuusenkuiske kindergarten
- 6 pm A lecture by Ville Trohkimainen about peddlers in 19th – 20th century. The lecturer shows his peddler bag with its content dated 19 th century, Juminkeko
- 6 pm Poem soiree in Juminkeko: poems by Paavo Lesonen about Viena Karelia
- 6 pm Kalevala club for kids
- 9 am Kalevala Bear – hobby crafts and traditional games at Kuusenkuiske kindergarten
- 10 am Kalevala Bear – hobby crafts and traditional games at Kuusenkuiske kindergarten
- 3 pm Prattle hut at Shell café, coffee service
- 5 pm Kalevala adventure for kids in Juminkeko
- 9 am Kalevala Bear – hobby crafts and traditional games at Satumetsä kindergarten
- 10 am Kalevala Bear – hobby crafts and traditional games at Satumetsä kindergarten
- 1 pm The novel hook with Kalevala, Kuhmo library
- 12 am The Day of Kalevala -celebration in Tuupala school
The programme is organized and carried out by Juminkeko Foundation with the partners the cultural department of Kuhmo, Kuhmo library, Kuhmo music school, Kuhmo association of local history and Kalevala women association.