For the Finnish region of Kainuu, seven smartphone applications have been developed by Kajaani University of Applied Sciences within the Spotlit project. The seven local applications provide an informative and modern way to explore literature and culture of the Finnish region of Kainuu.
Through the Spotlit project, applications are also trialled as an innovative way to connect local culture, businesses, and tourists. Users can conveniently browse for local hotels, tours, restaurants, events, shops, and other offers in the region.
The applications cover the municipalities where Finnish authors were born, raised, or resided of an extended period of time in their life. Titled after the municipalities, the applications are:
- Visit Kainuu application provides a general overview of the region and includes links to the other applications.
- Visit Kuhmo describes the Kuhmo UNESCO city of literature, Elias Lönnrot the author of the Kalevala, and the literary heritage both tangible and intangible though the Juminkeko Foundation.
- Visit Suomussalmi describes the northernmost municipality of Kainuu, where the author Ilmari Kianto lived, and his personal experienced in a time of change in Finland.
- Visit Puolanka describes the author Isa Asp, who was the ‘’first woman Finnish poet’’.
- Visit Sotkamo application describes the author Veikko Huovinen, his work and life in the municipality of Sotkamo.
- Visit Kajaani app describes both Elias Lönnrot and Eino Leino, who both lived and worked in Kajaani, the capital city of the Kainuu region.
- Juminkeko App contains information about the Juminkeko centre for the Kalevala and Karelian culture located in Kuhmo.
Download the Apps for Android HERE
Download the Apps for iPhone HERE